You all know Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs and even if you don't, here is a page of his very well written concerns about the HSUS and what they are about; http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2010/02/what-is-in-americas-future/comment-page-2/#comment-1378
In November 2009 the voters here in Ohio passed something called the Livestock Care Board. While I myself was on both sides of this issue I will say, this board needs to be allowed to be put in working order before some non-agriculture group tries to come in and tell Ohio farmers how to farm. The HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) will use their typical schemes to play on peoples emotions and completely ignore the truth. They will go to people who do not even know a farmer and they will attempt to destroy farming as we know it.
Most farmers I know treat their animals very well. We may not all agree with exactly how things are done but we all appreciate our choices of meat, dairy and poultry and the HSUS wants to take away those choices.
I would appeal to those out there to meet a farmer, ask questions, look around and don't allow a group who hides behind saving animals make your decisions for you. The records show that the HSUS raked in $86 million in 2008 and spent a whopping $450,000 on actual animal care. The rest went for things like salaries, lobbying and paying a lock-box company to handle all of the donations that well-meaning but unaware people sent them. Don't believe me about this, it is a matter of public tax record-look it up for yourself.
Always keep in mind-agriculture has been a part of this country since day one. Agriculture is what puts food on your table in one form or another. I choose to eat meat and I am not forcing that choice on anyone. If you choose to not eat meat-that choice should not be forced on anyone either.
If you ate a meal today-then thank a farmer!
If you like your foreign oil then you'll love your foreign meat eh??!! Think about it and look at history and heavy regulation-what has been the trend? Let me help a bit......a move to foreign shores.
Don't let that happen to our agricultural community. Please, get to know some farmers today.
Lattice Work Pies
21 hours ago

Good to see you Sunday! happy greenhouse dreaming!
ReplyDeleteGail