hit counter

Sunday, June 6, 2010

God's gift

I had the most beautiful gift from God this afternoon and I'd like to share it with you.
As I headed for the greenhouse I noticed a bird nest that had been blown out of a pine tree in the fierce winds the night before. It was laying on the ground. I could see one dead little bird and when I turned the nest over I found another one, dead also. Sadness in my heart, I set out to clean the mess up and I noticed something in front of the greenhouse door. It was shiny green and pulsing.
Realization settled in and I knew I was looking at one of God's tiny creatures-a humming bird! One little wing stuck out to the side and the pulsing was the tiny little bird's breath. I immediately wanted to help it so I gently picked it up and cradled it in my hand. I couldn't even feel the weight of it because it was so small!
Now, I must say here that I have 5 outdoor cats that are terrific hunters and I had not yet fed them their supper. They were close on my heels as they were hungry and they know very well who feeds them.
I headed for the front porch with my little charge and got my hummingbird feeder down. I got her long pointy beak into the syrup two times. I could feel her tiny feet grip my skin and her wings buzzed as she looked up at me! The whole time I was begging God to help me with this little creature of His.
I thought I had better head out to where there were NO cats to let this bird try to fly off so I left the porch. To my dismay several cats followed me. I realized that I would have to trust God and so I voiced one final plea and opened up my hand. That beautiful little bird buzzed off and stopped about 5 feet away from me and turned in mid-air and hovered there looking at me! She then flew off into a huge catalpa tree that is in full blossom and disappeared from sight!!
I had solid goosebumps and a tear of gratefulness ran down my cheek as I thanked God for allowing me to help His small creature. The only picture I have of this is in my mind but it is not one I will forget for a long time.
All Praise and glory be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment