hit counter

Friday, January 21, 2011

Friendship

This is something that has been on my heart to write about. It has been a long time since I had a true friend I think. My lot in life has been always contacting others first, broken promises and just not being kept in the loop so to speak. Maybe my expectations are just to high and maybe I am just kicking against the goads. Just seems like a true friend should be more than this sooooo....

First I went to Webster to look up "friend" I found this...Someone whom one knows and likes. That's pretty basic. I know not just a few people that I would put in this category and a lot of these would be people whom I see only on Sundays. My next place to search out "friend" is the scriptures.

We find David and Jonathon where it says in 1Sam 18:1 that Jonathon became one in spirit with David and he loved him as himself. What a grand design of friend this is! We go further to 1Sam 23:15-18. Jonathon goes out to David (Saul is seeking David's life) to encourage him to find strength in God. It seems the two of them shared some deep thoughts and fears and encouraged one another. Proverbs has a lot to say about the fact that who your friends are says a lot about who you are. I don't get the idea that true friends abandon each other either--for any reason.
Jesus seems to be a friend to many. We find the characteristics present as he interacts with different people. He says that there is no greater friend than this...that a man would lay down his life for a friend.
I know that friendship is both a giving as well as a receiving. I think this comes together as true love.

The world doesn't know anything about true love. Friendships there are bought and sold at the drop of a hat!

That (true love) takes a relationship with God first before you can love others. We are called to love others as Christ loves us and that is a picture of what friendship looks like for me. A genuine love will show itself in many ways like....a phone call just to chat..a random card to say-I'm thinking of you, being aware of needs and letting others know of your needs, just listening, doing something for someone just because it is the right thing to do, a self-less attention to others, offering to take someone shopping or to a medical appointment, cooking a meal or cleaning a house. Just a few examples of how friendship might look.
We are supposed to show our love towards others and after all, actions are louder than words.
Again I believe that it all goes back to your personal relationship with the Heavenly Father. How much time do you spend with Him and in His word so you know what love looks like?

God has a place and a plan for each of us and for us to trust this is best would be called contentment. Ah, contentment, now that is something to hold on to. Are we just kicking against the goads when we are discontent with other people in our lives? If nothing happens by chance then perhaps things are the way God intends them and it is time for me to just be content and grateful in whatever and whomever God has for me. And by the way, nothing is by chance, God is the author of all things--nothing happens that He does not know about. Perhaps my lot in life has been discontent and God is teaching me contentment.

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Phil 4: 10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment