hit counter

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Resting completely in God

Today is the Lord's day! We had a great time of sharing at church today from China. One thing became very clear to me as I listened to these men preach, I have much need of growth in my personal walk with Christ. I have been learning about true and total dependency on Christ in all things. Do I truly rest in Christ and in all things? My husband and I have walked thru some difficult times in the last several years and they have been times of growing but we have both found ourselves grumbling often. This grumbling is a sign of discontentment in my own heart. Grumbling tells God that what He has for me at present is not good enough and that I want something else. This does not honor God.
I learned today that in James 1:3 we are told that when problems arise...we are to count it ALL joy. Not some or sometimes but ALL. This means no matter what, we are told to expect problems because they will come, that we must respond correctly and that is with joy. We must say "thank you Lord" when trouble comes and believe that it is for our good. God is a wonderful Father and is always teaching us and testing our faith. The bible tells of how He tested Abraham;s faith too. Even Christ was tempted by Satan but that was with God's knowledge as was Job's trouble's.
The world has truly filled my head with useless, vain things. I am reminded of the preacher in Ecclesiastes who says that all is vanity. The whole duty of man is to love the Lord and keep all of His commandments.(notice the word all) The world always promotes self and does not understand God's word's of denying self and picking up that cross to follow Christ. It is foolishness to them who are perishing and so as a believer I must never seek counsel from the perishing. I can find all I need in God's word as it is sufficient.
Back to the original question...do I truly rest in God in all things? As He changes my heart and tests and teaches me, I believe that I am resting more and more in Him as I realize how very powerless I really am on my own.

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful to have the Chinese brothers with us today! I was very encouraged spiritually and convicted as well!

    ReplyDelete